You are a communications leader who expertly crafts messages, builds strategies, and shapes storytelling with consistency and creativity. You’re comfortable at the executive table, advising on crisis communications, and you’re equally at home working with students and up-and-comers to help develop their own skills. With a solid sense of brand, voice, and an organization’s priorities, you can lead a team through digital content development and video scripts through to speeches and white papers.
Smart, Savvy + Associates has partnered with our client, a well-respected post-secondary institution, in their search for an Senior Manager, Communications. This key role within the Marketing & Communications Department supports development of integrated marketing plans, communications strategies, and media and public relations activities. If you’re an experienced communications leader with a strong media relations background, consider applying for this role.
About the role:
The Senior Manager’s role is varied with focus on the areas of strategy and planning; content leadership; media relations; and team leadership including hiring, supervision, and development and monitoring of department and project budgets. The Senior Manager works extensively with executive leaders and senior faculty in addition to marketing and communications team members. Main areas of responsibility include:
- Develop and lead strategic communications to support the organization’s corporate and operations objectives
- Create strategies and tactical plans to develop and adapt content for all communications channels for both internal and external audiences, including traditional marketing, website, digital platforms and tools
- Functions as editor-in-chief for all produced content across channels and initiatives, ensuring consistency with identified strategies and priorities
- Ensures an integrated approach to content development and production through maintaining an editorial calendar and working through employee, student and faculty groups outside of marketing and communications
- Leads public relations issues and crises, with direct advisement to the Dean’s office
- Directs media relations activities including proactive and reactive communications, development of marketing campaigns, identification of promotional opportunity, and development of contributor database for op-eds and editorials
- Manages communications team members, student employees, and external contractors as required
- Post-secondary education in communications, journalism or related area
- 6+ years’ experience in communications services with a media relations, content development and management, preferably in a post-secondary education or large, public organization
- Demonstrated experience in building and maintaining positive relationships with media and external stakeholders, including skillful management of issues and crisis communications
- Expertise in developing and communicating effective and concise key messaging through existing communications and marketing channels and programs, with a focus on storytelling for traditional, digital, and social media
- Strong editorial skills, with ability to develop content strategy, assign writing/creative projects, and apply editing for style, tone, and messaging
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for presentations, relationship-building, and working collaboratively at all levels of the organization
- Works well in a goal-driven environment, maintains flexibility and able to manage multiple priorities/deadlines as well as pivot on current projects with excellent judgement and self-initiative
About Smart, Savvy + Associates
Smart, Savvy + Associates are the experts in recruiting high-calibre marketing, communications, creative, and sales professionals. Our specialty is strong relationships: we get to know our candidates and we take the time to fully understand the job requirements, cultural context and business objectives surrounding each hire.